Anyone interested in Vanilla leveling?

General banter, public forum
udod
Title: aka Manaman

Re: Anyone interested in Vanilla leveling?

Post by udod »

Thinking of rolling a mage or warrior, where did you get addons?
Neko
Title: Moxey/Katjia/Riloe/Spoofie/etc

Post by Neko »

Started with an addon pack that I found on some vanilla forums, then modified it. I can upload my current package if you want it.

Patch 1.8 came out this week - Silithus grind event in full swing!
Neko

Post by Neko »

My UI:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-eDMC ... sp=sharing

Here's what it looks like now:
http://www.hoarder.net/wow/ritzyui.jpg

Mage vs. Warrior leveling are drastically different. Warrior can be really frustrating until you hit later levels, you will die a lot and it's tough to solo stuff. Mage is pretty solo friendly but you spend a lot of time drinking (all classes have a lot of downtime, though).

They did release the PvE server and I think it's doing well, it is following the same content release schedule as the PvP server and they just got Dire Maul. The PvP server is certainly a unique, though often frustrating, experience. I can offer bodyguard services. ;)
udod
Title: aka Manaman

Post by udod »

Yea I rolled on PVE, its very busy, and omg has the game changed over the years. It's funny how you dont really appreciate how much better game has become until you step back 10 years and see how raw and rough it was. Certainly not everything changed for the better, but a whole lot did. Thank you, I will reroll on PVP. I used to play a druid and mage in vanilla, in TBC I rolled warrior.
Neko

Post by Neko »

Giving this a bump, as there is a lot of swirl around this topic right now. (TL:DR at the bottom).

Quick recap:
- Nostalrius (the server I was playing on) became too big (peaking at 13,000 concurrent users on the PvP server alone), and Blizz stepped in to shut it down.
- Nost admins were invited to visit to Blizz HQ.
- Nothing happened.
- Nost said if nothing was announced at Blizzcon they would release their source code.
- Nost has now given their code and player database to another server who plans to relaunch this December (this project has been running for about 6 years now with their own servers).

With this news I'm planning to start playing again. My old Nost guild held a meeting and 35 people showed up, and a few more since, which says a lot since our last raid was 8 months ago!

Our plans are...
- Log into our old characters and see how things look. Check server stability, latency, population, etc. The first few weeks will probably be crazy.
- If things are good hopefully continue there if the developers can follow through with the original plans to roll out AQ and Naxx.
- If things are not progressing well, there is a new project in development that we would start over on, but that would be months away (we have some people helping with development so we have insider knowledge).

TL:DR-
If you ever wanted to try Vanilla or re-experience it, now is probably the most active time is private server history and the community is booming. I would definitely encourage checking it out if you never played, it's pretty crazy how much the game has evolved (for better or worse) - even if you don't make it to 60, it can be a real trip. Hit me up with any questions about how all this works / how to get started / anything Nostalrius-specific.
Neko

Post by Neko »